Houston ISD will hold outdoor graduation ceremonies this weekend for all of its high schools, including the four schools that serve area families.
There will be limited, ticketed seating at the three graduation venues - Delmar Stadium at 2020 Mangum Rd., Barnett Stadium at 6800 Fairway Dr. and Butler Stadium at 13755 S. Main St. - with each graduate receiving an allotment of tickets to distribute to friends and families. Parking is free at each venue but may be limited.
Those who cannot attend the ceremonies in person can view them online at https://www.houstonisd.org/2021grads.
"This will be a celebration of our students’ hard work for keeping on top of their studies while navigating a public health crisis,” HISD interim superintendent Grenita Lathan said in a Thursday news release. “They may become known as the pandemic class, but they are so much more. They are resilient, they are creative, and they are HISD strong.”
Heights High School graduates are scheduled to walk the stage at 8 p.m. Friday at Delmar Stadium. Waltrip's graduation will be held there at 11 a.m. Sunday.
Graduation ceremonies for Scarborough and Booker T. Washington high schools will be held Saturday, with Scarborough's scheduled for 5 p.m. at Butler Stadium. Washington's ceremony is scheduled for 8 p.m. at Barnett Stadium.
HISD said the following rules and protocols will be in place at each graduation venue:
- Seating will be limited and require ticketed access. A limited number of tickets will be issued to each graduate prior to the event.
- Recommended social distancing practices will be observed.
- No flowers, balloons, banners, signs, noise makers, food or drinks will be allowed into the venue. If water is needed for medical reasons, the HISD medical team should be notified.
- Students should only enter with cap and gown.
- No cell phones or other electronic devices will be allowed on the venue floor by students.
- The doors will open one hour prior to the graduation ceremony time.
For HISD's complete graduation schedule, visit https://www.houstonisd.org/graduationcalendar.